UAN Member Portal: Everything an Employee Must Know
The Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) is a scheme wherein the employer and employee contribute, in equal amounts, to create a retirement corpus for the employee. So, if you are a salaried employee, chances are that you have an EPF account in your name wherein, every month, a part of your salary is credited to build up the corpus. With an EPF account, you can earn guaranteed investment returns as well as tax benefits.
The best part is that even if you change jobs, you can continue with the same EPF account. You just have to notify the new employer and make changes to your account. These services are accessible online through the UAN member portal, the official EPF portal. So, let’s understand what this portal is all about and how it helps you easily manage and track your EPF investments online.
What is UAN?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number. It is a 12-digit, unique account number allotted to each EPF member, i.e., the employee that contributes to the EPF scheme.
The Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) generates and allots the UAN, which is authenticated by the Ministry of Labour and Employment. No matter how many times a person joins a new organisation throughout the course of their career, this number stays the same for each of them.
Importance of UAN
To use this UAN more effectively, you need to understand numerous connected items in addition to what a UAN number is:
- Until an employee retires, the distinctive UAN remains the same. Hence, this is a one-time number you’ve got to remember throughout your career.
- You can withdraw and transfer money through UAN without the need to bother your employer for the same.
- You can monitor monthly deposits with UAN. The specific employee must, however, be listed on the EPFO.
- You may manage your entire PF account with UAN, check your PF balance, status, claims, and much more.
- This UAN number is required to examine the credits and debits in your PF account.
- Employees can access their PF accounts freely with this number.
Services Provided by the UAN Member Portal
The UAN member portal is the official online portal for managing your EPF account. If you are a member of the EPF and have an EPF account in your name, you can register yourself on the portal and get access to a wide variety of services related to your EPF account.
Some of the services that the UAN member portal provides are as follows:
Under this category, you can check your EPF account and its different aspects. There are four types of details that you can check under this category:
I. Your profile
You can check your profile under this heading. When you click on ‘Profile’ under the ‘View’ tab, you will be able to check your details. These include the following:
- Your UAN.
- Name and gender.
- Date of birth.
- Father’s or husband’s name.
- Contact details – mobile number and email ID.
- Working status – whether you are a foreign employee.
- Marital status.
- Disability status.
II. History of service
A universal EPF account number, UAN, remains allotted throughout your working life, even when you change employers. Your employers simply update the details in the UAN.
Thus, under this tab, you get to see your overall service history, i.e., for how long you have been working for every organisation. The following details are visible under this head:
- Member ID and name.
- Name of the organisation.
- EPF joining and ending dates
- EPS (Employee Pension Scheme) joining and ending dates.
- FPS (Family Pension Scheme) joining and ending dates.
III. UAN Card
You can get a UAN card printed and issued in your name. This is also available under the ‘View’ section of the UAN portal.
IV. EPF passbook
You can access the UAN passbook of your EPF account under this heading. You would be directed to the EPF website, wherein you can enter your UAN and password and get a detailed look at your passbook.
This section lets you manage and modify your EPF details. The changes that you can make under this tab include the following:
I. Contact details
You can make changes to your mobile number and email ID. You would receive an authorization PIN which, when entered, would help you update your mobile number and email ID.
II. KYC details
You can also update your KYC details, which are mandatory. These details include your bank account number, Aadhaar card, PAN card, etc.
3. Online services
The online services that you can access are listed under this heading. These UAN services include the following:
You can withdraw from the EPF account partially or fully, subject to the fulfilment of some terms. To withdraw, you must fill out and submit a composite claim form: Forms 31, 10C, and 19. These forms are available online under the “Claim” heading.
If you change jobs, you can transfer your EPF account from the last employer to the new one. This can also be done online through this tab.
III. EPF Status
You can track the status of your EPF claim under this tab.
How to Generate UAN?
It is quite simple to generate your UAN. The process is as follows:
- Log into your EPF account using your establishment’s ID and password.
- Go to the “Member” tab and click on the option to “Register Individual.”
- Provide your details, including your bank account details, Aadhaar card number, PAN card number, name, etc.
- ‘After the details are entered, click on “Approval.”
- Your UAN would be generated online and displayed.
The following documents would be required to generate your UAN. The documents are as follows:
- A valid proof of identity, like your PAN card, driving licence, voter’s ID card, passport, Aadhaar card, etc.
- A valid proof of address, like your utility bills, rent agreement, property document, voter’s ID card, Aadhaar card, etc.
- Your bank’s account number and IFSC code.
- ESIC card.
- PAN card.
- Aadhaar card.
How to Check Your UAN Number
If you don’t know your UAN number, you can check it. There are three ways to get a UAN number, which are as follows:
I. Via portal
You can check the UAN through the EPF portal. The steps are as follows:
- Visit the EPFO member portal, which is https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Click on “Know your UAN Status.” A new page would open wherein you would have to provide your profile details, like your name, gender, date of birth, etc.
- After you submit your details, you will get a PIN on your registered mobile number.
- Enter and verify the PIN.
- Upon successful verification, the UAN will be shared with your email ID and mobile number.
II. Via a mobile number
You can check your UAN with your registered mobile number too. The steps are as follows:
- Dial 011-22901406 and give a missed call.
- After the missed call, you will get your UAN details on your phone through an SMS.
III. Via Aadhaar card
Your Aadhaar card can also help you check your UAN. The process is as follows:
- Visit the EPFO portal at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Click on “Know your UAN status.”
- Choose “Aadhaar” and enter details like your name, mobile number, email ID, etc.
- Provide the captcha code and click on “Submit.”
- Click on “Get Authorisation PIN.”
- A new page would open wherein you should click on “I Agree.”
- An OTP would be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Provide the OTP and click on “Validate OTP.”
The UAN will be sent to your phone number.
Benefits of UAN
The UAN has several benefits. These include the following:
- It becomes easier to transfer your EPF account from one employer to another.
- At the time of withdrawing from the EPF account, there would be minimal interference from the employer.
- With regular mobile updates, you get streamlined management and tracking of your EPF account.
- The EPS is also simplified with the UAN.
The UAN member portal digitises your EPF account, making it more convenient to get things done. You can manage your EPF account, make withdrawals, and even transfer the account to a new employer. So, understand how the portal works and use it for your EPF transactions.
Can employees on contract register for the UAN and avail themselves of online facilities?
If the employer employs 20 or more permanent employees and each employee earns ₹ 15,000 or more, the employer would have to create a UAN for them. Once the account is activated, both contractual and full-time employees can register for online UAN services.
Is it possible to get more than one UAN?
No, one member gets only one UAN throughout their working life.
What are the PF account number and Universal Account Number?
The PF contains the EPF details of an employee. It is used for making withdrawals from the EPF account. A UAN, on the other hand, is a universal number that is assigned to each EPF member. The UAN contains different member IDs for each employee in different jobs.
Can employers withhold PF when employees change jobs?
No, employers cannot withhold PF when there’s a job change. This is because the PF is linked to the UAN. It is transferred across employers and cannot be withheld by any one employer.
Can an employer check employment history by UAN?
Yes, an employer can check your employment history using your UAN. The employer can simply visit the UAN portal, enter “Search UAN” and search your employment history when they know your UAN.