ICICI Bank Tax Saving Fixed Deposit
Updated on: Aug 30th, 2023
Saving money on tax payments might be the most gratifying thing. Although taxes become inevitable after a particular income threshold, it is important to understand that you can always reduce your tax liability by taking appropriate measures.
If you’re looking to invest long-term with an objective to reduce your tax liability on your amount, tax-saving FDs are the way to go. Let’s look at how ICICI offers its Tax-saving FDs and the various perks you get along with.
Features of the ICICI Tax-Saving FDs
- The Tax-Saving FDs have a minimum lock-in period of 5 years.
- ICICI Bank Tax Saving Fixed Deposits are entitled to tax saving up to ₹ 1,50,000 p.a. under section 80C of the I-T Act.
- Also, the interest income from ICICI Fixed Deposit is taxable according to the slab income tax rates. Any customer can claim a deduction up to ₹ 40,000 per annum of the interest income earned on the fixed deposit as per section 80TTB of the I-T Act. For senior citizens, the deduction limit is ₹ 50,000 per annum.
- According to section 194A of the I-T Act, the bank is liable to deduct TDS at 10% of the interest income their customers earn on fixed deposits. Also, if the investor fails to provide PAN Card details to the bank, the TDS rate will be 20%.
- This feature of tax-saving FDs is constant throughout all banks and services. Under no circumstances can you break a tax-saving FD before its maturity period of 5 years.
Eligibility Criteria and Documents Required
- Both individuals and Hindu Undivided Families (HUFs) are qualified to invest in these tax-saving FD schemes.
- For the purpose of tax savings, one can opt for fixed deposits in either public or private sector banks. However, cooperative and rural banks don't qualify.
- A 5-year term deposit in a post office is also recognized as a tax-saving instrument.
- Deposits can be made individually or as a joint account. However, only the first account holder is entitled to the associated tax advantages.
Regarding the documents required-
- Aadhar Card
- Drivers License
- Gas Bills
- Utility Bills
- Bank Statement
- Or a Cancelled Bank Cheque
Can I take a loan against my Tax-saving FD with ICICI?
You cannot avail of a loan against Tax-saving FDs due to the 5-year lock-in rule.
Do senior citizens get a higher interest rate on Tax-saving FDs?
Yes, ICICI Bank typically offers a preferential interest rate for senior citizens, which is higher than the regular deposit rates.
Is the interest earned on these FDs tax-free?
No, the interest earned on Tax-saving FDs is taxable per the individual's tax bracket. Only the invested amount (up to ₹1.5 lakhs) qualifies for a tax deduction.
returns on FD
Lock in returns as high as
8.35% before they go down
Top Banks Tax Saving FD
Top Banks FD Schemes
Understanding Fixed Deposit
Disclaimer: Wint Wealth makes no guarantee or warranty on the accuracy of the data provided on this site, the information displayed is subject to change and are provided on an as-is basis. Nothing contained herein is intended to or shall be deemed to be investment advice, implied or otherwise. You are advised to make your own enquiries, consult a professional advisor and verify the information prior to taking any investment decisions. We accept no liability for any loss arising from the use of information contained on this website.